Updated: January 6, 2021
This year MESA Utah will be hosting a virtual competition in lieu of our usual State MESA Competition and MESA Events at Physics Day. We’ll post rules and information as they become available.
The second competition will be the Straw Tower. Due dates for the other competitions are listed below.
- Straw Tower Rules
- Straw Tower Submission Form
- Rules Clarifications:
- You are allowed up to Fifty (50) 8 inch straws and 3 feet of tape. Follow the rules on the written rules. (The video below will be adjusted to match the written rules.)
- You may fold or bend the straws.
- You may cut the straws. If you cut an eight inch straw in half and use both halves, that still only counts as one straw.
MESA Utah Virtual Competition Events and Due Dates
- December 4 – Cleopatra’s Barge
- High School Winning Teams: 1st Weber High. 2nd Weber High. 3rd Cottonwood High
- Elementary & Junior High Winning Teams: 1st Bonneville Jr., 2nd Bonneville Jr., 3rd Bonneville Jr.
- February 1 – Straw Tower (weight-bearing)
- February 26 – Tangram Race
- March 26 – Marble Rollercoaster (constructed using poster board)
- April 2 – Engineering Design Competition Part 1 – Design Brief
- April 9 – Engineering Design Competition Part 2 – Poster
- April 23 – Engineering Design Competition Part 3 – Prototype Pitch PPT & Demo Video Clip
- April 30 – Mousetrap Car Race (15 feet timed race)
- TBD (Early May) – Engineering Design Competition Part 4 – Technical Presentation & Interview via Zoom
- May 8 – Zoom Meeting – Engineering Design Competition
We will be hosting the Utah Engineering Design Competition virtually. The Utah rules will follow the MESA USA rules with adaptations for virtual competition.