Updates, information about the competition, and resources for the competition will be added to this page regularly. Many of the materials from last year below, are still relevant now.
- Arduino Based Solutions for Humans Living in Utah: MESA USA & MESA Utah Engineering Design Competition (Updated 01/09/19)
- MESA USA Competition Website
- Continuation of Project Addendum and Project Form (Updated 01/09/19)
Registration (Due April 5)
- Register at: www.surveymonkey.com/r/arduiosolutions19
- Email Project Reports to: email@example.com
Project Reports (Due April 12)
- Email Project Reports to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Nathan Moore
- Late reports will be penalized as described in the rules.
The MESA Utah Event is scheduled for May 4, 2019 (SLCC Redwood Campus)
Draft Judges Training Materials (Uploaded 1/23/19)
- 2019 Judges Product Pitch Training (Draft)
- 2019 Judges Poster Symposium Training (Draft)
- 2019 Judges Project Report Training (Draft)
- 2019 Judges Technical Interview Training (Draft)
Examples of Product Pitch Presentations
Note: Some Product Pitch requirements have changed this year.
- ALL Product Pitches at Philadelphia in June 2018. This is a six hour video. Middle school presentations were at the beginning. High school presentations start in the middle (June 2018).
- The MESA Utah High School Product Pitch starts at 5 hours and 50 minutes.
2017-2018 Competition Results
The MESA Utah High School Team from Skyline High School won first place at the national competition in June of 2018. MESA Utah did not send a Middle School team to the national competition in 2018.
MESA Utah sponsors an annual competition at Physics Day at Lagoon. Winning teams are eligible complete at the National Competition. These year’s competition theme is Arduino Clean Air Solutions.
Clean air is essential to human health and to all life on earth. We each breathe air into our lungs about 17,000 times daily. Our lungs collect oxygen from the air and transfer it to our red blood cells. Unfortunately, our lungs also transfer dangerous toxins from the air into our bodies. *Recently the American Lung Association ranked Salt Lake City as the 6th worst city in the nation for air quality. Identify an air pollution problem that you will attempt to solve. You will design an Arduino-based solution to either (A) help people cope with the negative effects of air pollution, (B) help people clean polluted air, or (C) help people reduce their production of air pollution. Your device must be cost-efficient and you will need to be prepared to justify all expenses.
*Source: SL Tribune
To participate in this competition, students should join their local school’s MESA club or (if none exists) form a new MESA club. Thank you to the Stem Action Center of Utah for financially supporting this competition through a STEM Grant.
- Registration (Register by April 15):
- Submit your Technical Paper (Due by April 30):
- 2017-2018 Rules & Rubrics:
- 2017-2018 Rule Updates:
- The length of product pitch presentation has been reduced from 20 minutes to 10 minutes.
- The competition will be held on Friday, May 18, at USU Physics Day at Lagoon.
- Registrations are due on April 16, 2018, at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/mesaair18
- Written Project Reports (Technical Papers) are due on April 30, 2018. Submit them in PDF format to email@example.com.
- Preparing for MESA Physics Day Events (2017-2018):Preparing for the MESA State and National Competitions
- 2017-2018 Award Certificates:
MESA Utah Arduino Award Certificates – 2017-2018
- Beginning Arduino Award Certificate
- Arduino Engineering Design Process Award Certificate
- MESA Utah Clean Air Solutions Competition Certificate of Participation
- 2017-2018 Templates:
- Product Pitch Template PowerPoint
- Technical Poster PowerPoint (for local competitions only)
- Print the slides and then cut and paste them on your poster.
- Technical Poster PowerPoint (for state and national competitions)
- Print to 48″x36″ at a local print shop.
- Technical Paper Word Doc (Coming Soon)
- 2017-2018 Resources from other States:
- MESA National Engineering Design Competition Resource Document (Posted by online by Arizona)
- Maryland Appendices F-H to the National Competition Rules and Rubrics
- Appendix F (Page 23-24) – Sample Clients
- Appendix G (Pages 25-27) – Engineering Design Process Overview
- Appendix H (Page 28) – Arduino Resources
- MESA Utah 2017-2018 MESA Utah Arduino Clean Air Solutions Addendum #1)
- MESA USA Website: National Engineering Design Competition
- Pictures from the 2017 National Competition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Videos from the 2016 National Competition in Ogden, Utah
- State 2017 Prosthetic Arm 2.1 Competition Winners
- See Also: MESA Mouse Trap Car Competition 2017-2018
- Resource: Human Centered Design Field Guide